NATIONAL DEFENSE AND FOREIGN RELATIONS
While the United States stands as an unparalleled example of freedom to the world, we must remain diligent in our fight to preserve the American way of life. To meet any challenge that threatens our nationís sovereignty, we must maintain a national defense that can meet any need and defeat any foe. This requires the proper resources and, as such, AMVETS encourages our military and foreign policy leadership to ensure that the brave and dedicated men and women who serve in our Armed Forces are provided with the best possible training, equipment and technology.
AMVETS, therefore, seeks actions that willó
- provide adequate funding for the defense of our nation at home and abroad;
- defeat the threat of terrorism aimed at exploiting Americaís free and open society and weakening the strength of freedom-loving nations;
- improve the quality of life, including pay and housing, for our fighting men and women;
- oppose entering into any treaty that would place Americaís service members under the jurisdiction of an International Court;
- ensure appropriate control at our nationís borders and reestablish sensible immigration policies;
- allow military forces to train without adverse interference of environmental regulations;
- upgrade and update protections and benefits for National Guard and Reserve called away from family, home, and employment to active duty;
- modernize Guard and Reserve units with the latest and best military equipment and training; and
- maintain strong military aid and assistance to the Republic of Korea and continue strong relationships and exchanges with the Republic of China (Taiwan).